Bib'li-o-phil'i-a

In libris libertas.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Two graphic novels

I used up the last of my Barnes and Noble giftcard, but if I take 300 more surveys from Harris Polls, I'll earn another $5 one, so that'll be good.

I got Stephen King's new novel, Cell, and Alan Moore's Watchmen. This means I'm taking a break from The Historian. It's been awhile since I had three books going at once, so it's fun. Watchmen was incredible. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves a good story with original characters, but especially to people who read comics or love superhero movies. Along with Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, this book is one of the most influencial on comics today. And although the tones are completely different, "The Incredibles" wouldn't exist without this book.

I'm loving Cell so far. It's different from the King books I usually love. The Shining and It have long sections of character development before anything really horrifying happens (apart from a few terrifying vignettes), but in Cell, the horrifying stuff happens immediately, and you get to know the characters as they deal with it. The plot seems similar to The Stand, but the novel feels more claustrophobic (think of Narnia compared to Middle Earth and you'll know what I mean).

What are you reading? I'm always looking for a good recommendation.

7 Comments:

  • At Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Buddy, I have seven recommendations for you, four nonfiction, two science fiction and one general fiction, all of which I've read in the past couple months.
    7 Suggestions Remaining (I.)
    THE NONFICTION:
    1) The Devil in the White City, murder, magic and madness at the fair that changed America by Erik Larson.
    2) Isaac's Storm, A man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson.
    (Erik Larson's books read more like novels than history books, they are amazing read's, and even more extraordinary when you realize these 'stories' are true. "Isaac's Storm" is even more timely now since Katrina.)
    3)The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin (This book is quite sad and like "Isaac's Storm" will put the power of natural disasters into a new perspective.)
    4)The Captured A true story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier by Scott Zesch
    3 Suggestions Remaining
    SCIENCE FICTION
    5)A canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (If you enjoyed 1984 and Brave New World, this one is a must read.)
    6) Battle Royale by Koushan Takami (This book is highly popular in Japan and has been compared to Lord of the Flies since they both have to do with students being stranded on a desert island, but the similarities end there. Battle Royale is a high octane game that no one would ever want to play.)
    1 Suggestion Remaining
    GENERAL FICTION
    7)HOUSE of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski [Just follow the numbers and stay out of five and a half minute hallways, or keep a large ball of twine on hand (II.) .

    (I.) The structure of this comment will make more sense after reading the recommended books.

    ( (II.) At the risk of stating the obvious no woman can mate with a bull and produce a child )}


    -Chad

     
  • At Friday, February 03, 2006 9:19:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Chad,

    You're the second person who's recommended Devil in a White City to me in a week. It's definitely on the top of my list now.

    Was Battle Royale made into a movie? Someone was telling me about a movie that sounds just like what you decribed.

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 2:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erik Larson is a great author, TDWC is his latest work, but Isaac's storm is just as good. Yes, "Battle Royale" was made into a movie however only in Japan. It's a good movie, but you'll have to read subtitles all the way through, which causes you to miss some of what is going on in the movie.

    -Chad

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 7:50:00 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Have you ever read Blue Like Jazz? I wouldn't be surprised if you have...

    I'm on chapter 3, and I'm loving it. It's written by Donald Miller, if you want to take a gander.

    (if this makes it more interesting, the subtitle is "Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality")

    not a novel, but worth a read.

     
  • At Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lloyd Alexander's Westmark Trilogy is quite good. I'm only half-through the second book, but I appreciate the complexities the author raises about justice and right. The titles are "Westmark," "The Kestrel," and "The Beggar Queen."

     
  • At Monday, February 13, 2006 7:59:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I haven't read Blue Like Jazz, but Evan highly recommended it as well.

    I like Lloydd Alexander's Black Cauldron series (incidentally one of the first movies I ever saw in the theater).

     
  • At Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Giving up on books? or just conversation? How am i supposed to vicariously read (non-law) through my friend if my friends quit reading?- Megan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home