Bib'li-o-phil'i-a

In libris libertas.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka

I started Catcher in the Rye, but was unable to get into it again. I brought it to my parents house with me, but my mom has so many books that I was distracted by them. the first night I stayed there, I had trouble sleeping, so i picked up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and read it all the way through. I can't help but think of Gene Wilder when I read it. I don't anticipate having that problem with Johnny Depp. I love Johnny Depp, and even the movies I've seen him in that I didn't like ("Pirates of the Carribean," "Sleepy Hollow," "From Hell"), I still thought he was good. But his casting as Willy Wonka is just ridiculous. I'll see the movie, but I don't have very high hopes.

I've been wanting to read more Stephen King lately, but I've also been enjoying realistic fiction. Fortunately, I bought my brother the book Different Seasons, which has the short story that "The Shawshank Redemption" is based on. I read that story the second night, and on the third, I started "Apt Pupil." I love Stephen King. Even his so called non-horror stories powerfully illustrate the battle between good and evil, or as King expresses it, order and chaos.

I'm still reading through NT Wright's lectures on the New Problem of Evil. I'd encourage you to check them out over at the NT Wright Page.

6 Comments:

  • At Saturday, June 18, 2005 3:34:00 PM, Blogger Judy said…

    I agree.

    But, I must confess that I don't think I have seen "Willie Wonka" straight through from beginning to end. I have probably seen all of it a dozen times, just not sequentially.

    Oh. the travail of being a mother...

    But, I just can't picture Johnny as Willie. It gives me the 'willies' just thinking about it.

     
  • At Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been in a Stephen King mood lately, too. I finally finished The Wastelands, and unfortunately can not find my copy of The Wizard and the Glass even though I am quite eager to read it. Blaine is such a pain.

    So, in my Stephen King frenzy, I checked out his area at Barnes and Noble. I became totally wrapped up in a book that reviewed and ranked all of his works. While I disagree with a lot it had to say (Rose Madder in the top ten? Give me a break!), the book placed It at the number one spot and that got me interested. I've never read It but have always wanted to, So I decided to buy It. But since I've also been in a writing mood lately I bought On Writing. Now I'm attempting to purge myself of all adverbs. Fun stuff.

    I was dinking around online looking at Stephen King stuff and came across a Grand Rapids-central discussion group that has me intrigued, but terrified to join. For now I’ll just play it safe, clean my room in order to find The Wastelands, and try to finish the Dark Tower series and It before the next Harry Potter book comes out. Yeah right.

    For the record, I loved Catcher in the Rye, but then again when I read it I was an angsty teenager. That probably had a lot to do with it. And I was disappointed overall at the idea of a remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I don’t really see the need for another movie. And the last thing the world needs is a bunch of rabid fan girls proclaiming, “Oh my God! Willy Wonka is so hot!” Yikes.

     
  • At Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (That should be "Clean my room in order to find The Wizard and the Glass." I just read the Wastelands. They're easy to get confused, sorry for the mistake. As Buddy pointed out on his other blog, there's no way to edit comments.)

     
  • At Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:59:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I still love Catcher in the Rye, but reading it so soon after Perks, they were too similar and the similarities annoyed me. I've been experiencing that a lot lately. I stopped read A Swiftly Tilting Planet because I had just read the first two, and when I read a lot of the smae writing, their weaknesses become obvious. I have the same problem with JK Rowling and Anne Rice. I think Stephen King is the only one whose I can read back to back without getting tired of his style.

    I love that Stephen King book and agree with his placement of IT at number one. It's an incredible book, though I've read some scathing feminist criticism of it.

     
  • At Saturday, June 25, 2005 10:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You asked for reading reccomendations in your last post but since I'm not sure if you check back posts for comments I'm putting my recs here.

    Cheaper By The Dozen
    -Frank B. Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey
    (please,please, please don't judge it based on the crap movie of the same name)

    Of Mice and Men
    -John Steinbeck

    The Blue Castle
    -L.M. Montgomery

    Wuthering Heights
    -Emily Bronte

    Kon-Tiki
    -Thor Heyerdahl

    Orange Flower Water
    -Craig Wright


    Okay...I'll stop. Sorry. Got carried away. There is just so much to read out there!

     
  • At Sunday, July 10, 2005 10:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read a very intriguing article on Depp as Willy Wonka. I think I can almost accept it just for what he said about love of the story. They did go back to Dahl's book to rewrite the script, so there is a lot that is different from the 70s/Wilder version. I think this will help me with the adjustment.

    - Megan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home